Our services include:
1. FOR STUDENTS:
1.1 One-on-one writing/speaking consultations
- Monday – Friday; 9:00 am – 5:30 pm (except public holidays)
- At the Writing Centre (Room 1022, E7)
- Make an appointment on UMMoodle
- 40 minutes (face-to-face) / 60 minutes (online) per session
We welcome students to bring in their writing or speaking projects during any stage of their work creation process including brainstorming for ideas, outlining, drafting, revising, and editing.
We are happy to work with different genres of writing (e.g. essays, research papers and proposals, reports, fiction/non-fiction writing, résumés & cover letters, personal statements, speeches, presentations, and PowerPoint slides, etc.)
*Please kindly visit UMMoodle-ELC Independent Learning Site and make appointments with our consultants.
1.2 Academic workshops
- New sessions every semester
- Sign up at the Writing Center OR through UMMoodle
- 90 minutes per session
2. FOR FACULTY MEMBERS AND OTHER UM UNITS:
2.1 Writing Centre class visits
- A 10-15 minute Writing Centre introduction delivered by WCentre consultants. A consultant will come to your classroom to explain to your students about the different Writing Centre services including consultations, chatrooms, writing circles, and workshops, etc.
- Please submit a request form to firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for a class visit.
2.2 Tutorial Demonstration
- A 15-20 minute tutorial demonstration showing your students what the WCentre can help them on a certain topic. For example, you can request an “APA Documentation” demo. Our consultants will come to your classroom to show your students how the WCentre can work with them on documentation-related issues.
- Please submit a request form to email@example.com to arrange for a tutorial demo (preferably 10 days in advance).
2.3 WCentre information on your syllabus
- You are welcome to include the following information in your syllabus:
The English Writing and Communication Centre serves as the University’s writing center and offers one-on-one consultations that you may find helpful during your writing process. You can go to the Writing Centre to get feedback on any writing or speaking assignments/projects. The Writing Centre is located at E7-1022 in the Central Teaching Building. For more information about the service offered, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to the Writing Centre’s homepage. To make an appointment for a one-on-one consultation, visit UMMoodle: English Language Centre-Independent Learning Site.
Unfortunately, there are some services that we do not provide. They are as follows:
- We don’t guarantee grades.
- We don’t proofread an entire paper – BUT – we are more than happy to share some proofreading strategies with you!
- We don’t work with a complete graduate-level thesis – BUT – we are more than happy to look at parts of your thesis chapters during your writing process!
* The English Writing and Communication Centre is a unit within the English language Centre.