Our services include:
1. FOR STUDENTS:
1.1 One-on-one writing/speaking consultations
- Monday – Friday (except public holidays)
- At the Writing Centre (Room 1022, E7)
- Make an appointment at http://ewcc.appointy.com (how to make an appointment?)
- 40 minutes per session
We welcome students to bring in their writing or speaking projects during any stage of their work creation process including brainstorming for ideas, outlining, drafting, revising, and editing.
We are happy to work with different genres of writing (e.g. essays, research papers and proposals, reports, fiction/non-fiction writing, résumés & cover letters, personal statements, speeches, presentations, and PowerPoint slides, etc.)
1.2 Academic workshops
- New sessions every semester
- Sign up according to information on promotional flyers or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 90 minutes per session
We offer 2 – 3 academic workshops each semester to enhance students’ academic- and study-skills. Past workshop topics include: Basic Essay Structure, Avoiding Plagiarism, APA/MLA Documentation Style, Presentation Skills, etc. Please refer to the full list of workshops on our website (click here to see full list).
2. FOR FACULTY MEMBERS AND OTHER UM UNITS:
2.1 Writing Centre class visits
- A 10-15 minute Writing Centre introduction delivered by WCentre consultants. A consultant will come to your classroom to explain to your students about the different Writing Centre services including consultations, chatrooms, writing circles, and workshops, etc.
- Please submit a request form to email@example.com to arrange for a class visit.
2.2 Tutorial Demonstration
- A 15-20 minute tutorial demonstration showing your students what the WCentre can help them on a certain topic. For example, you can request an “APA Documentation” demo. Our consultants will come to your classroom to show your students how the WCentre can work with them on documentation-related issues.
- Please submit a request form to firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for a tutorial demo (preferably 10 days in advance).
2.4 WCentre information on your syllabus
- You are welcome to include the following information in your syllabus:
(Click image to download)
Unfortunately, there are some services that we do not provide. They are as follows:
- We don’t guarantee grades.
- We don’t proofread an entire paper – BUT – we are more than happy to share some proofreading strategies with you!
- We don’t work with a complete graduate-level thesis – BUT – we are more than happy to look at parts of your thesis chapters during your writing process!
* The English Writing and Communication Centre is a unit within the English language Centre.